Store Opened in 1958
Chuck’s story starts way back in 1958 when he and his wife Marge Levin opened their first shop at 12th and H Streets in downtown Washington, D.C. (Marge let him put his name on the building, as she was always quick to point out!). It didn’t take long before the store earned a reputation as a must-visit destination for any serious musician passing through the nation’s capital.
Washington Music Center become an example of honest opinions, reliable advice, personal attention to detail, good will, and customer satisfaction matched with huge inventory and great prices.
First Shop Was Burned
In April 1968 as riots following the assassination of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. tore through the city’s inner core, the store was razed to the ground.
alan red marshall
The local community was determined to keep Chuck’s alive, so with their help, the store was reopened just two months later at its current location on Veirs Mill Road in Wheaton, Maryland. Chuck’s soon gained prominence as the industry’s top independent music store.
The most "wonder"ful customers
The modest mom and pop shop became a DC institution. No musician could pass through DC without a stop at “Chuck’s.”
A Family Operation
Chuck’s is truly a family operation, and a great deal of our success is directly attributed to the close working relationship of this family. Following the passing of Chuck and Marge, their two sons, Alan and Robert, daughter, Abbe, have taken over stewardship of the company
Praise and Awards
Chuck’s has continued to grow and prosper continuously each and every year since it’s inception, winning top sales awards from several of the biggest manufacturers and publications in the music industry.
Chuck’s has continued to grow
Chuck’s has continued to grow and prosper each and every year since its inception, winning top sales awards from several of the biggest manufacturers and publications in the music industry. We couldn’t do it without a loyal customer base, and for this you have our utmost gratitude. Thanks everybody!